Since the ’60s, Kris Kristofferson has written and performed many classic songs. Songs that have not only been hits for Kristofferson, but also hits for others. Consider “Me and Bobby McGee”. The song was a massive break-out hit for Janis Joplin, who’s version was an impassioned cover, surpassing the original in tone and power. Fast-forward these many decades and you’d find Kris Kristofferson still making meaningful music in the later years of his career. One listen to the complete This Old Road (2006) and it’s easy to understand that his song-writing abilities hasn’t dropped a bit. In fcat, they may have improved. Even a listen to Closer To The Bone (2009), and Feeling Mortal (2013) underscores his prowess. Nevertheless, it’s his hit from the ’60s and ’70s that many will remember and honor him for. Songs like “Help Me Make It Through The Night”, “Why Me”, “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down”, “The Silver-Tongued Devil and I”, and “Lovin’ Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again)”.
On October 27, a 2CD/1DVD set, The Life & Songs of Kris Kristofferson, will hit the marketplace. It is the collection of songs from a concert honoring Krisofferson. the show took place on March 16, 2016 at The Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, TN. The show had luminaries like Willie Nelson, Larry Gatlin, Roseanne Cash, Dierks Bentley, Jessi Colter, Lady Antebellum, EmmyLou Harris, and many others.
All the songs are Kristofferson classics. Some of them are sung by artists and some of them are duets with Kris Kristofferson (see track list below). The CDs represent Kristofferson with 21 songs, and the included DVD offers 22 songs. The DVD is offered in selectable Stereo and 5.1 Surround.
Several bundle packages can be acquired by the album’s launch site here.
01. “Please Don’t Tell Me How The Story Ends” Buddy Miller (deluxe only)
02. “Kristofferson” Jessi Alexander, Jon Randall & Larry Gatlin (deluxe only)
03. “Here Comes That Rainbow Again” Martina McBride
04. “The Taker” Ryan Bingham
05. “The Captive” Jessi Colter (deluxe only)
06. “Nobody Wins” Lee Ann Womack (deluxe only)
07. “Jesus Was A Capricorn (Owed to John Prine)” Jack Ingram (deluxe only)
08. “Worth Fighting For” Jennifer Nettles
09. “Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again)” Rosanne Cash
10. “Chase The Feeling” Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell (deluxe only)
11. “The Pilgrim, Chapter 33” Emmylou Harris & Kris Kristofferson
12. “From the Bottle to the Bottom” Dierks Bentley & The Travelin’ McCourys
13. “Help Me Make It Through The Night” Lady Antebellum
14. “Under The Gun” Darius Rucker
15. “For The Good Times” Jamey Johnson & Alison Krauss
16. “Casey’s Last Ride” Alison Krauss (deluxe only)
17. “If You Don’t Like Hank Williams” Hank Williams Jr.
18. “To Beat The Devil” Eric Church
19. “Me And Bobby McGee” Reba McEntire
20. “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” Willie Nelson & Kris Kristofferson
21. Encore: “Why Me” Kris Kristofferson & Full Ensemble
DVD content (95 minutes)
22 songs including 8 that were not included in the broadcast plus Willie Nelson’s “Living Legend”
5.1 Surround Sound