A little late, I know. But in case you haven’t seen this, U2 is reissuing their classic 1987 gem, The Joshua Tree. While I infinitely prefer The Unforgettable Fire, and many others will not move past the U2 trinity of Boy, October, and War, The Joshua Tree IS considered by many to be U2’s defining masterpiece. And there is no doubt the songs within are enduring and memorable. No matter your stance on U2 and their recorded body, The Joshua Tree is surely an album that belongs in your collection.
On June 2, Universal/Island will reissue The Joshua Tree in several ways to include a massive set of addition to the original. There will be a single CD featuring just the original album, a 2CD 30th Anniversary Edition that will present the original album as well a CD filled with live tracks called The Joshua Tree Live at Madison Square Garden 1987. That live set will feature 17 live performance tracks. The stakes are upped for the serious fan with the issuance of a 4CD Super Deluxe package providing a CD with six remixes of familiar tracks, and a fifteen-track CD filled with B-sides and outtakes including a 2017 Eno remix of “One Tree Hill Reprise”.
For the vinyl aficionado, there will be a complete 7LP set with all of the good stuff, and a 2LP set for the original. Of course, there will be digital as well. I’m even sure there will be Hi-Resolution DD, although this is NOT confirmed.
The 4CD Box will provide an 84-page book of photos, and eight color prints. These will be cased in a solid and durable outer box with a gold-foil press of a joshua tree on the top.
If some reports are to be believed, the year of these remastered tracks are 2007, the year they released their 20th Anniversary Edition. I consider that pure laziness on their part, but that’s just me. (I’d love to hear what Steve Wilson could do with these – and other – U2 tracks with his remix prowess.) If you’re going to this massive length, then go all the way, say I!
With the upcoming new U2 album in the works, it sounds like a good year to be a U2 fan.
If you want more, a quick trip to the official U2 site will put you in the lap of a mix of bundles that include tees, and record bags.
The Joshua Tree – U2
CD1 (Original Album):
01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
03. With Or Without You
04. Bullet The Blue Sky
05. Running To Stand Still
06. Red Hill Mining Town
07. In God’s Country
08. Trip Through Your Wires
09. One Tree Hill
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared
CD2 (Live At Madison Square Garden 1987):
01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. I Will Follow
03. Trip Through Your Wires
04. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
06. Bullet The Blue Sky
07. Running To Stand Still
08. In God’s Country
09. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. New Year’s Day
13. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
14. With Or Without You
15. Party Girl
16. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
01. One Tree Hill (St Francis Hotel Remix)
02. Bullet The Blue Sky (Jacknife Lee Remix)
03. Running To Stand Still (Daniel Lanois Remix)
04. Red Hill Mining Town (Steve Lillywhite 2017 Mix)
05. With Or Without You (Daniel Lanois Remix)
06. Where The Streets Have No Name (Flood Remix)
CD4 (B-sides and Outtakes):
01. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
02. Walk To The Water
03. Spanish Eyes
04. Deep In The Heart
05. Silver And Gold
06. Sweetest Thing
07. Race Against Time
08. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
09. One Tree Hill Reprise (Brian Eno 2017 Mix)
10. Silver and Gold
11. Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience
12. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
13. Desert Of Our Love
14. Rise Up
15. Drunk Chicken/America